A new features in Lotus Notes Domino 8 is the ability to use Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) outbound authentication (SMTP AUTH) to relay hosts. Most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) usually only allow authenticated Lotus Notes Domino users/servers to relay email through their Lotus Domino servers. When using the SMTP outbound authentication feature, you don't have to worry about that.
To set up the SMTP outbound authentication feature in Lotus Notes Domino 8, follow these simple steps:
- Make sure you already have a Configuration Settings document for the Lotus Domino server(s) to be configured.
- From the Domino Administrator, click the Configuration tab and expand the Messaging section.
- Click Configurations.
- Select the Configuration Settings document for the Lotus Domino mail server or servers you want to administer, and click Edit Configuration.
- Now click the Router/SMTP - Basics tab.
In the field labeled Use authentication when sending messages to the relay host, choose one of these:
- Required: This checks whether the Lotus Domino 8 server can authenticate. If the server cannot authenticate, no attempt is made to try a unauthenticated session.
- Enabled: This determines whether the Lotus Domino 8 server can authenticate. If it cannot, an attempt is made to try an unauthenticated session.
- Disabled: The SMTP authentication feature is disabled. Authentication is not attempted.
- Specify the SMTP account name in the Name field, and the SMTP password in the Password field.
- Type the host name into the field labeled: Relay host for messages leaving the local Internet domain.
- Click Save and then Close to complete the setup.
I've only tested this with freenet.de. There may be problems with other ISPs as I've discovered in the past with 1&1.
I would like to say thank you to Ramon Bisswanger who invented and developed the SMTP AUTH tool. I've used his great tool to send mail via my Lotus Domino server without any problems for the past three years.
Do you have comments on this tip? Let us know.
This tip was submitted to the SearchDomino.com tip library by member Ulrich Krause. Please let others know how useful it is via the rating scale below. Do you have a useful Lotus Notes, Domino, Workplace or WebSphere tip or code snippet to share? Submit it to our monthly tip contest and you could win a prize.