I have mail-in database which receives e-mails with attachments. The attachment is a self extracting EXE file which, when run, extracts a bunch of text log files. My question is: how can I automate the process so that on arrival of the new e-mail, the attachment contents are extracted and each extracted file is added as a response document to the original mail?
There are several steps to handle what you want to do. I will cover each at a high level and if you need more, you can write in another question and ask for more details on a particular step.
1. Get all NotesEmbeddedObject/s and test for type "attachment".
2. Use notesEmbeddedObject.ExtractFile(path) to extract it to disk.
3. Use the Shell("file_path") to execute the file you detached.
4. Run a reasonable pause routine or continually search the directory to determine if the operation has completed.
5. Use the resulting directory listing to put the files back into the rich text field using notesRichTextItem.EmbedObject.