Lotus announced its annual Beacon Award winners at Lotusphere 2003 last week, honoring its business partners who excel in industry leadership.
Every year, Lotus doles out the awards on the basis of innovation and contribution to the IBM/Lotus Software product lineup. The judging team is made up of industry analysts and journalists. Candidates compete for Beacon Awards in 13 categories.
This year, iEnterprises, in Murray Hill, N.J., won the Best in Showcase award for its customer relationship management product, iExtensions. John Carini, chief software architect and president, said that his company's product was designed to use the WebSphere Translation server to translate e-mail and electronic documents into different languages.
"The way the product works is that, if someone sends you an e-mail in French, then you can simply click a button and translate the e-mail to your language via the WebSphere Translation Server," he said.
Winning the award gives iExtensions more than just bragging rights, says Carini. He claims that an advantage iExtensions had over the other candidates in the Best of Showcase category was that his product has no direct competition in the document translation space. Carini added that he expects the product, currently priced from $250 to $750, to experience a 200% increase in sales in the next year.
"IBM touts you as a premier application and pushes the application out, especially to the business partner community, as a solution that they're interested in selling," he said. "The bottom line is that [IBM] can enhance their product line as well."
Carini said his company found out less than a week before Lotusphere that iExtensions was a finalist in the Best in Showcase category. iExtensions had competed for a Beacon Award for three years until it finally won. Lotus also presented Beacon Awards to winners in the following categories:
Distinguished Achievement awards:
- Tata Consultancy Services, New Delhi
- InfoSys, Swindon, England
- Jonima, Mexico City
- Computech, De Pere, Wis.
- Instant Technologies, Beverly, Mass.
- Northern Collaborative Technologies, Cumberland, Maine
- Webb Consulting, Lafayette, Colo.
Best Knowledge Discovery Solution:
- EKM Corp., Encinitas, Calif.
- Safmarine Computer Services, Cape Town, South Africa
- Titan Solutions Group Inc., Austin, Texas
- Brookstone Technologies Pty Limited, Double Bay, Australia
- Cordial Co., Seoul, South Korea
- ComputerWorks, Albany, N.Y.
- Advanced Development Group, Unionville, Pa.
- Computech Resources. De Pere, Wis.
- DLI.tools Inc., Burlington, Ontario
FOR MORE INFORMATION: