An Ask the Expert question, Why is Notes naming someone else in a new memo?, was recently posted regarding how to fix mail files that display an alternate name at the top of messages, with the actual user's name listed below it (labeled "Sent By:") and the response was to check the location document.
I have experienced this behavior several times in my environment, and the cause has always been a discrepancy in the mail file owner field in the Calendar Profile (in ND6, the Calendar Preferences). I believe the intent of this field was for purposes of delegation: If a vice president delegated management of her e-mail account to an administrative assistant, for example, e-mail sent by that assistant would appear in the Inbox as coming from the vice president, but upon opening the e-mail the recipient would know that it was actually sent by the assistant on the VP's behalf.
In reality, the most common reason I see this behavior is because someone goes by their middle name (or variation on their first), but HR submitted their legal name to IT, so they change the mail file owner field to allow e-mail to come "from" the name everyone recognizes. The problem is, when the recipients reply, the person doc doesn't contain that name (or worse, it matches another user's name), so they don't receive the response.
To correct this, edit the Calendar Profile / Preferences (depending on the current version of Notes) and set the mail file owner to match the hierarchical name of the user.
I have never had a great interest in radically changing the way a mail system handles its packages, I prefer to stay supported and confident that as the system changes, my mail will continue to run well and the design won't need to be modified. So my approach has always been to work out why names don't match as an administrator rather than as a designer.
One scenario we have tested with three users, and which worked VERY well under testing, was to make sure the localfile setup was always the same for our roamers. This has become very easy with the new flash drives currently available. I simply set a mailDB quota to be smaller than the flash drive (128 MB drives are now about $40) and I name the mail file "x:fileslocalmail.nsf" (idFile is "x:filesuser.id") on local flash drives. This way the users carry their IDs and mail files on a portable data store. (I can even encrypt the flash disk, though running multiple vendor models causes issues there.)
Lotus, once configured, is never the wiser. You set up the individual workstations correctly and the users are happy. I still have issues with other local databases that have "enforce consistent ACL" turned on, but I place instructions on resetting replication history in a "documentation" folder on the flash drive and that seems to do the trick. We haven't fully rolled this out yet, but haven't had issues in the cases we tested. Since it is the logged user's mail file and ID, the names will match.
-- Rich W.
Administrators can put this code into a button on an e-mail. When the user clicks it, the Calendar Profile will be fixed.
@SetProfileField("calendarprofile" "owner" @UserName); @Prompt([OK] "Calendar Profile" "Your calendar profile has been set. You may now delete this e-mail document") @MailSend("Your Name Here" "" "" "Calendar Profile Update" "" "I have modified my calendar profile")-- Chris D.
To contribute your feedback, drop us a line.