This tip is for admins, developers or users who find themselves frequently switching to the same ID -- whether that ID is for testing, signing agents or your favorite problem user. It is very easy to implement and a real time saver by using locations to switch IDs rather than the menu or smart icon.
In this example, I will use the ID "Notes Tester" with the a mail file named "ntester.nsf" and an ID file named "ntester.id."
- Create a new location (or copy one and then modify) by opening the local address book and then from the menu, choose View | Advanced | Locations.
- Click on the New button and choose Location.
- Under the Basics tab, select the Location Type (Local Area Network, for example).
- Under the Basics tab, add the Location Name (Notes Tester).
- Under the Servers Tab, add the home mail server (AcmeServer/Test).
- Under the mail tab, add the mail file name (mailntester.nsf).
- Under the Advanced tab, add the path and file name of the user ID in the "User ID to switch to" field (C:LotusNotesDatantester.nsf).
- Save and close the document.
This makes switching IDs much faster, especially if your other IDs are stored outside of the Notes data directory. In addition, if you have several users sharing the same client, this makes the process painless for them to switch.
Do you have comments on this tip? Let us know.