The pesky "unread" count in the Notes client doesn't always work correctly, and sometimes you have to reset it. Here's one way to save your unread marks when you reset the count.
To reset the count and save the messages that are marked "unread" before setting all to "read":
- First warn the user that you will have to clear all "unread" marks to fix the problem.
- While in the user's inbox, go to View menu and choose Show, Unread Only. All of the unread messages will list and the read messages will disappear.
- Select all of the messages in this list of unread messages by choosing Edit, Select all, or checking them off with your mouse.
- Now go to View, Show, Selected Only. This will give you the same list with the check marks.
- While still looking at this list of checked off, unread messages, click on Edit, Unread Marks, Mark All Read. It will turn all the checked messages to "read" status, and the count on the Inbox will disappear. Note that the messages are still checked off.
- Now hit Insert on your keyboard, and they will all disappear. (This is because you still have "Show only selected" chosen, and you just turned all the messages back to unread status and removed the check mark.)
- Go to the View menu, and UNselect View, Show, Selected only. Now, all of the messages will show up again, and the messages that were unread before will still be RED in color.
I have been using this method for some time and have a smart icon created to perform this series of steps.
The formula behind the smart icon is as follows:
@Command([ViewExpandAll]) ; @Command([ViewShowOnlyUnread]) ; @Command([EditSelectAll]) ; @Command([ToolsMarkAllRead]) ; @Command([ViewShowOnlySelected]) ; @Command([ToolsMarkSelectedUnread]) ; @Command([ViewShowOnlySelected]) ; @Command([ViewCollapseAll])
Here is another method. Create a folder for unread messages. Move the unread messages to the folder. Run the fix on the mail file. Open the unread folder, mark them unread again and move them back to the inbox.
Do you have comments on this tip? Let us know.
This tip was submitted to the SearchDomino.com tip exchange by member Ellen Davis. Please let others know how useful it is via the rating scale below. Do you have a useful Notes/Domino tip or code to share? Submit it to our monthly tip contest and you could win a prize and a spot in our Hall of Fame.