Now that you've installed the Linux CentOS-4 client software, it's time to install Lotus Notes:
- Log into Linux CentOS-4.
- Before installing Lotus Notes, you must fulfill one of its dependencies, which is Mozilla. For some unexplained reason, Lotus Notes needs the old Mozilla Web browser -- rather than Firefox -- to install properly. You can download Mozilla here and unpack it.
- Pull up a GNOME Terminal and type su to log in as root.
- Assuming you unpacked Mozilla (as mentioned in Step 2) to your desktop, type:
cp –r /home/connellcharles/Desktop/mozilla /usr/lib.
- Now type
mkdir /etc/gre.dand then
- From there, enter the following two lines into the top of the file (For help with vi click here.):
- Leave the root shell.
- With Mozilla set, Lotus Notes is ready to go. Copy the .zip file of Notes onto your desktop and extract it into a folder.
- Within that folder, you will see the Personality.zip, readme.txt, and setuplinux.bin files. Extract the Personality.zip file into the current folder.
- Set the Owner execute bit on setuplinux.bin and setup_wct_platform.bin. You'll need to right click on "Properties" -> Permissions in Nautilus.
- Copy setuplinux.bin to updateSite/features/com.ibm.workplace.notesinstall. linux.feature_7.0.1.0000-0900/bin/linux. This folder was created when you extracted Personality.zip.
- Run the command: setup_wct_platform.bin. You must do this from a terminal, since Nautilus won't run *.bin files.
- Accept the license terms of the installer and click "Next." If you see an error about Mozilla, go back and do the previous steps again.
- I'm going to assume that you are doing the installation for one user -- as opposed to a multi-user install. Select that user's home directory when you are prompted.
- The next screen is a summary screen, which then changes to the actual installation. When this installer is done, yet another installer window pops up, and proceeds to install more files.
- From here, a third window appears, this is another installation wizard. Accept the terms and allow it to perform its steps. The wizard will then direct you to log out and log back in before running Lotus Notes, but do not do this now -- there are still a few more steps before you're finished.
- Click "Finish." The window will disappear and the installer it has spawned will continue installing more files. When this finishes, click "Finish" again and log out. Make sure to log out quickly because Lotus Notes will try to start by itself if you wait.
- When you log back in, create a text file named noteslauncher.sh.
- Copy the following text into that file.
#! /bin/sh NOTESBIN=/home/user/notes NOTESDATA=/home/user/notes/data NOTESDIR=/homeuser/notes/data LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$NOTESBIN: $NOTESBIN/jvm/bin/classic:$NOTESBIN/ jvm/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH=$NOTESBIN/jvm/bin:$NOTESBIN:$PATH CLASSPATH=$NOTESBIN:$CLASSPATH export NOTESBIN NOTESDATA NOTESDIR LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH CLASSPATH /opt/ibm/Workplace\ Managed\ Client/rcp/richclient -personality com.ibm. workplace.noteswc.standalone.linux.personality
Save the file into /home/user/bin, and then replace all of the 'users' above with your actual username.
- Set the Owner execute flag on noteslauncer.sh.
- Edit the file /home/user/Desktop/IBM Lotus Notes.desktop so that this line:
exec="home/connellcharles/ Workplace Managed Client/rcp/richclient" -personality com.ibm.workplace.noteswc. standalone.linux.personality
Be sure to edit /home/user/.local/share/applications/IBM Lotus Notes.desktop in the same manner.
- Log out and back in again and make sure that GNOME does not have any of the desktop files cached.
- Run Lotus Notes using the desktop icon or the menu icon. When Notes launches, you will see the standard configuration dialog about Notes services.
- After initial setup, you can run Lotus Notes using the program icons, just as you would under Microsoft Windows.
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE: HOW TO INSTALL LOTUS NOTES ON LINUX CENTOS-4
Step 1: Install Linux CentOS-4
Step 2: Install Lotus Notes on Linux CentOS-4
Step 3: Troubleshoot any installation issues
|ABOUT THE AUTHOR:|
| Charles Connell IV
Charles Connell IV is a high school student in Bedford, Mass. He can be reached at [email protected]